Pages

February 9, 2010

Amy Lowell (American, February 9, 1874 - May 12, 1925)

~
Falling Snow

The snow whispers around me
And my wooden clogs
Leave holes behind me in the snow.
But no one will pass this way
Seeking my footsteps,
And when the temple bell rings again
They will be covered and gone. 


Hoar-Frost

In the cloud gray mornings
I heard the herons Flying
And when I came into my garden,
My silken outer-garment
Trailed over withered leaves.
A dried leaf crumbles at a touch,
But I have seen many Autumns
With herons blowing like smoke
Across the sky. 

Source: PoemHunter 



Amy Lowell
Source: NYPL Digital Gallery


HÓHULLÁS

A hó susog körülöttem
És facipőm
Gödröket ír mögöttem a hóba.
De senki sem jön erre
Lábam nyomában,
S mire a szentély harangja csendül,
Nyomomat befújja, elnyeli a hó.


DÉR

Felhőszürke reggeleken
Hallottam, szállanak a gémek,
S ahogy kertembe léptem,
Selyemköpönyegem
Hervadt lombokba vágott csíkot.
A száraz levél egy sóhajra összemegy,
De én már sok Őszt láttam,
S a gémek csak húztak, el, mint a füst
Az égen át.

Gergely Ágnes fordításai

[In: Amerikai Költők Antológiája, Budapest, Európa Könyvkiadó, 1990]
...............................................................................................................................................................................................................................