Pages

October 7, 2010

Edgar Allan Poe

(American, January 19, 1809 – October 7, 1849)
.
ALONE

From childhood's hour I have not been
As others were I have not seen
As others saw I could not bring
My passions from a common spring.
From the same source I have not taken
My sorrow; I could not awaken
My heart to joy at the same tone;
And all I lov'd, I loved alone.
Then in my childhood – in the dawn
Of a most stormy life was drawn
From ev'ry depth of good and ill
The mystery which binds me still:
From the torrent, or the fountain,
From the red cliff of the mountain,
From the sun that 'round me roll'd
In its autumn tint of gold
From the lightning in the sky
As it pass'd me flying by
From the thunder and the storm,
And the cloud that took the form
(When the rest of Heaven was blue)
Of a demon in my view.

 *

ELDORADO

Gaily bedight,
A gallant knight,
In sunshine and in shadow,
Had journeyed long,
Singing a song,
In search of Eldorado.

But he grew old

This knight so bold
And o'er his heart a shadow
Fell as he found
No spot of ground
That looked like Eldorado.

And, as his strength
Failed him at length,
He met a pilgrim shadow

"Shadow", said he,
"Where can it be

This land of Eldorado?"

"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied

"If you seek for Eldorado!" 

 Last known daguerreotype of Edgar Allan Poe



KÜLÖN

Gyermekkoromtól fogva nem
Olyan vagyok, mint más. Szemem
Nem úgy lát, nem közös kutak
Habja bennem az indulat.
Nem közös forrásból ered
Bánatom. Gyújtva szívemet
Más fokra izzik örömöm.
S ha szeretek: azt is külön.
Ott gyermekkoromban a vad
Élet hajnalán: ott fakadt
Ez a varázs a jó s hamis
Mélyekből , mely kötöz ma is:
Forrásból lett, gyors patakból,
Sziklahegyen rőt falakból,
Napból, mely lekörözött
Őszi aranyfény között,
Villámból az ég alatt,
Amint elszállt, elszaladt,
Dörejből, vihar ha forrt,
S fellegből, mely olyan volt
(Bár kéklettek az egek)
Szemre, mint egy szörnyeteg.
 
Tellér Gyula fordítása

*

ELDORÁDÓ

Valaha rég
Egy drága-szép
Lovag nagy útra szállott.
Ment, mendegélt,
Száz útra tért,
Kereste Eldorádót.

Azóta agg
A szép lovag,
Szívében átok, átok.
Bármerre ment,
Se fönt, se lent
Nem lelte Eldorádót.

És végtire
Lankadt szíve
Egy árny eléje állott.
Szólt: "Áldalak,
Bús árny-alak,
Mutasd meg Eldorádót."

"Ott messzi túl,
A Hold kigyúl,
Az Árnyak völgye vár ott.
Vágtass el, el",
Az árny felel,
"Eléred Eldorádót."

Kosztolányi Dezső fordítása
____________________
Edgar Allan Poe összes versei /The Complete Poems,  Lazi Bt., Szeged, 2002

 *

-
  -


Illustrated by Edouard Manet 
(Paris, 1875)


No comments:

Post a Comment