Pages

February 19, 2011

Kányádi, Sándor



Prologue

there is a land with beauty graced
landscapes where the bitter taste
that fouls my mouth is purified
there is a land deep deep inside
where words-of-the-field are flowering
like edelweiss the phrases cling
for dear life to the mountain cliffs
the brooks are my blood relatives
they purl and whisper in my heart
[in winter I freeze over hard
to shelter them] like tiny mice
they clink my armour-plate of ice
the summers autumns winters springs
are my forebears and afterlings
there is a land without within
I wear it as I wear my skin
tormented but still beauty-graced
landscapes where the bitter taste
that fouls my mouth is purified
there is a land deep deep inside

1982


History Lesson

I tried to explain
history to the stones
they were silent

I tried it with the trees
and they nodded

I tried it with the garden
it smiled at me gently

history is the four
seasons it was saying
spring summer
autumn and winter

it's winter's turn now

1985
Translated by Peter Zollman

[Sándor Kányádi: THERE IS A LAND, Selected Poems, Corvina Books Ltd, 2000]



Szász Endre (1926-2003): Kányádi Sándor

Előhang

vannak vidékek gyönyörű
tájak ahol a keserű
számban édessé ízesül
vannak vidékek legbelül
szavak sarjadnak rétjein
gyopárként sziklás bércein
szavak kapaszkodnak szavak
véremmel rokon a patak
szívemben csörgedez csobog
télen hogy védjem befagyok
páncélom alatt cincogat
jeget-pengető hangokat
tavaszok nyarak őszeim
maradékaim s őseim
vannak vidékek viselem
akár a bőrt a testemen
meggyötörten is gyönyörű
tájak ahol a keserű
számban édessé ízesül
vannak vidékek legbelül

1982


Történelemóra

a történelmet próbáltam
magyarázni a köveknek
hallgattak

próbáltam a fáknak
bólogattak

próbáltam a kertnek
szelíden rámmosolygott

a történelem négy
évszakból áll mondta
tavaszból nyárból
őszből és télből

most éppen tél jön

1985

_________

Magyar Könyvklub, Budapest, 2000]