Pages

March 26, 2011

Robert Frost

(March 26, 1874 – January 29, 1963)



I have been one acquainted with the night.
I have walked out in rain
and back in rain.
I have outwalked the furthest city light.

 
I have looked down the saddest city lane.
I have passed by the watchman on his beat
And dropped my eyes, unwilling to explain.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When far away an interrupted cry
Came over houses from another street,

But not to call me back or say good-bye;
And further still at an unearthly height,
O luminary clock against the sky

Proclaimed the time was neither wrong nor right.
I have been one acquainted with the night.  

FIRE AND ICE

Some say the world will end in fire,
Some say in ice.
From what I’ve tasted of desire
I hold with those who favour fire.
But if it had to perish twice,
I think I know enough of hate
To say that for destruction ice
Is also great
And would suffice.



Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.

 Robert Lee Frost by Norman Parkinson, 1958


AZ ÉJNEK ISMERŐJE

Az éjnek ismerője voltam én,
Ki záporban megy el s hazaoson,
Ha kialudt a végső utcafény.

Bámultam szomorú sikátoron.
Éji bakter mellett mentem tovább
Sunyt szemmel: én nem magyarázkodom.

Megálltam, némítva lépés zaját,
Mikor kiáltás hirtelen szűnő,
A háztetők felett fülembe szállt,

Nem hívó, nem is búcsút üzenő;
S messzebb, nem-földi magasság terén
Bolygó óra hirdette: az idő

Se-téves, se-igaz, nem holt, s nem él.
Az éjnek ismerője voltam én.

Weöres Sándor fordítása

 
TŰZ ÉS JÉG

Mondják: a világ vége tűz.
Más mondja: jég.
Mert a vágy forrósága űz,
azt vallom én is: vége tűz.
S ha vesznem kétszer illenék:
Mert ismerős a gyűlölet,
Hiszem: végpusztulásra jég
Is jó lehet,
És épp elég.

Weöres Sándor fordítása



A NEM JÁRT ÚT

Rőt fák közé két út vezetett,
S csak egyre tehettem lábamat,
Sokáig álltam, s míg lehetett,
Szemmel követtem az egyiket,
Míg el nem tűnt a bozót alatt;

S a másik útra tértem, amely
Ugyanolyan szép volt s jobb is talán,
Mert járni való fű lepte el;
Noha járt voltában semmivel
Nem tett túl egyik a másikán,

S mindkettejükre e hajnalon
Láb nem taposta levél borult.
Az elsőt, ó, máskorra hagyom!
De visszatérek-e, nem tudom,
Ismerve, hogyan fut útba út.

S így kezdem majd sóhajtva mesém
Valahol sok hosszú év után:
Két út vitt át a fák sűrűjén,
S a ritkábban járt lett az enyém,
A különbség ebben áll csupán.

Hárs Ernő fordítása
________
Amerikai költők antológiája, Európa, Budapest, 1990, 
230,231,235-236. old.