Pages

October 15, 2012

Robert Frost (1874-1963)

The Quest for the Purple Fringed

I felt the chill of the meadow underfoot,
But the sun overhead;
And snatches of verse and song of scenes like this
I sung or said.

I skirted the margin alders for miles and miles
In a sweeping line.
The day was the day by every flower that blooms,
But I saw no sign.

Yet further I went to be before the scythe,
For the grass was high;
Till I saw the path where the slender fox had come
And gone panting by.

Then at last and following him I found--
In the very hour
When the color flushed to the petals it must have been--
The far-sought flower.

There stood the purple spires with no breath of air
Nor headlong bee
To disturbe their perfect poise the livelong day
'Neath the alder tree.

I only knelt and putting the boughs aside
Looked, or at most
Counted them all to the buds in the copse's depth
That were pale as a ghost.

Then I arose and silently wandered home,
And I for one
Said that the fall might come and whirl of leaves,
For summer was done.

Robert Frost, 1955
Foto: Clara Sipprell (1885-1975)  
NPG /Smithsonian Institution



A lábam alatt éreztem a rét hüvösét,
Odafönn a napot;
Eszembe jutottak régi verstöredékek
És dallamok.

A nyílegyenes vízparti égeresen
Sétáltam el.
Az évszak már a virágzás évszaka volt,
De semmi jel.

A kaszások előtt előresiettem a fűben, -
Már térdig ért;
És láttam, amerre a karcsú róka pihegve
Jött s visszatért.

Akkor követtem a róka nyomát
És rátaláltam
A rég keresett virágra, a szirmon elömlő
Szín bíborában.

Szellő se fújt, a furakvó méh se kuszálta
A szirmokat,
Tökéletes nyugalomban állt egész nap
Az éger alatt.

Az ágakat széthajtva térdepeltem
Számlálva ott,
Hogy az aljnövényzet alatt hány gyenge bimbó
Sápadozott.

Majd csöndesen hazamentem, azt motyogva,
Hogy jöjjön akár
Az ősz meg a rőt levelek forgószele, mert
Megvolt a nyár.
 
Imreh András fordítása





Korábban / Previously:




.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment